Growing older is different for everyone, the best way to stay strong and well is to understand how to manage any health conditions that you are at risk of or have been diagnosed with.
At Albert Road GP, we provide two appointments, one with the doctor and another with the physio, so that you get a thorough assessment as well as help with any areas of concern.
What is a 75 year old plus health check?
A health assessment of an older person is an in-depth assessment of a patient aged 75 years and over. It provides a structured way of identifying health issues and conditions that are potentially preventable or amenable to interventions in order to improve health and/or quality of life.
The purpose of this health assessment is to help identify any risk factors exhibited by an elderly patient that may require further health management or intervention. In addition to assessing your health status, a health assessment is used to identify a broad range of factors that influence your physical, psychological and social functioning.
We will discuss a wide range of health issues with you, including
- Cancer screening – the best option is prevention, followed by early diagnosis. There are a number of cancers we can easily screen for.
- Blood pressure.
- Safety in the home – a minor alteration can make your day to day living easier and safer.
- Medications – we will review what you are taking and make sure it’s still what you need at the right dose.
- Psychological wellbeing – get the support you need to look after every aspect of your life.
- Your vaccination status – when was the last time you had your immunisations? Are they up to date?
But I’m healthy. Do I still need a 75+ health check?
If you feel you are at a healthy point in your life, this can be the best time to go and see your GP. We use the information as a benchmark, if your health starts to veer from this point, we have a map to navigate back towards the healthiest you! Additionally, health checks often include bloodwork and other screening tests. Even though you may feel healthy, some of these tests may indicate otherwise, and early detection is preferred.
What should I expect at a 75+ Health Check?
The first portion of the appointment typically lasts 30 minutes and will take place with the nurse. They will obtain a comprehensive history, ensure your bloodwork, immunisations and various screenings are up to date. The last 10-15 minutes is spent with the doctor (and sometimes the nurse) to address anything outstanding.
Call us on 9111 8959 and book an appointment to make sure you’re in the best of health now and in the future.
Book in now